One of the first and most important techniques that a plasterer should be taught is the importance and necessity of forming screeds using the dot and screed method.
Open up any plastering book from the last 200 years and the method should be explained in the first chapter, although many modern plasterers seem to think it is an old, unused practice there is in my opinion no better way of establishing a truly square and plumb job. This should be one of the first processes carried out before any moulding or rendering is completed.
The restoration project we are working on has a lot of in situ mouldings and to achieve the required end result we had to prepare and plumb the building using this method.
Brief explanation (there are various ways this can be done however in this instance this is how we did it)
- Hammer a masonry or clout nail into brickwork a few inches in from either end of the wall. Leave the nail head sticking out a little (1/4″ or so)
- Pull a string line between these two nails and insert further nails along this line, spaced out at a distance a little less than your straight edge.
- With the string line pulled tight off the heads of the two end nails hammer the intermediate nails in until the heads are lined up to the same depth as the string line
- We added a second top screed by hammering a row of nails above these and using a small level to set the depth
- Apply dots of material on and around all of these nails and after a short while rub up these dots with a float until the nail head begins to show
- When the dots feel firm apply a continuous band of material between the dots and rule off with a straight edge using the dots as a guide.
- Allow the formed screeds to set a little then fill in any imperfections and rub up entire screed with a float to a smooth finish.
- Close in with a plastic or steel trowel if required
Ideally we would have liked to have carried out all of the scratch coat and rendering on this job ourselves, after the mouldings were in place, but this had been carried out before our arrival on site so we have to remove and replace some layers of material in order to complete our moulding works.
Most of the bench run pieces are now finished and slowly curing so as the weather begins to warm up we have been able to begin setting out and running the first of the in situ mouldings.
The gable had been rebuilt following collapse and the moulding shown here was copied from old pictures.
This week we will set out and run a further bull nosed weather moulding around 4 inches above this one and continuing around the side elevations with a curved feature
We are pleased to announce that we have now began the long awaited exterior facade repairs at the former Sunday School located within the grounds of St Andrews church, Rodney Street, Liverpool.
This beautiful italianate building has stood proudly since 1872 and although suffered much neglect in the last number of years it is now being sympathetically restored to its original glory.
We will be reproducing all of the missing exterior mouldings and original details of this building over the next few months and updates will be posted as work progresses.
Here is another accidental discovery that I would like to share.
It was discovered by myself whilst carrying out conservation work and cornice repairs at Hamilton Square, Birkenhead. Cheshire. Continue reading
This project was for a bespoke set of inset stone frames for a private client in Cheshire. We matched the colour of the frame with the clients stone walls and we used the silicone mould from our previous post to produce parts for the plaster model.
This enrichment was cast as part of a portland cement facade around in 1850 and is a small part of an ongoing conservation project.
To replace the missing detail I will need to remodel a small section of the original detail , before taking several rubber moulds to form a finished master for the cement casting.
We produced and fitted these sandstone composite window surrounds and window sills to enhance the exterior of this Wirral home
These large arched window mouldings were ran in situ along with the inner reveals and returns.We ran 10 top windows,3 lower windows and small sections on a bench for repairs. Continue reading
This Moroccan look washroom was completed by milesnegusfancey.com and myself in 2015, we matched the colour of the hand made floor tiles and created a bespoke Japanese shikkui plaster finish for the walls, ceilings and counter, to finish off we cast and fitted coloured stone skirting detail to designers requirments.